- Posted on
This recipe is courtesy of Mary Rossbrook owner of Rocking R Bar B Miniature Herefords
*4 CUPS WHOLE COW’S MILK (NOT ULTRA PASTEURIZED)
*1 CUP CULTURED BUTTERMILK
*2TBSP LEMON JUICE
*1/4 TSP FLAKE SALT ( ADD HERBS – OPTIONAL)
1. Line the colander or strainer with wet or dry cheese cloth.
2. Place the cow’s milk in stockpot. Heat the milk over medium heat – 175 degrees.
3. Stay close and monitor the temperature, stir every few minutes to prevent a skin from forming on the surface. If you think it is sticking to bottom of pan reduce heat.
4. When the milk reaches 175 degrees, add buttermilk and lemon. Stir thoroughly. You should start to see coagulation. After it is completely stirred, take the pot off of heat. Leave it undisturbed for 5 minutes.
5. After 5 minutes are up you’ll see a clear separation between the curds and the whey. Stir curds gently a few seconds to check out the change in texture, and then pour the curds and whey into the cloth-lined colander.
6. Allow the curds to drain until they resemble thick oatmeal. This should take 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in herbs if using them.
7. Pack the cheese into a paper-lined dish to form it into a wheel.
8. Flip the dish onto a serving platter and peel away the paper.
NOW YOU HAVE CHEESE!!!!!! ENJOY!!!!